Continuing with the fall themed cupcakes, I bring you….Orange-Cranberry! The result of these was wonderful; they were tart and sweet at the same time. Next time, I would experiment with using fresh, seasonal cranberries instead of dried ones.
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (like Craisins)
- approx. 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour (I’ve started using Softsilk, and I LOVE the results…try it!)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 2/3 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
1. Zest two oranges (the ones that will give you your fresh juice) and set aside to be used in the frosting.
2. In a small bowl, combine the dried cranberries and fresh orange juice (make sure there’s enough juice to cover the cranberries). Let this soak for at least an hour. After the cranberries have “rehydrated,” pour them and the orange juice into a food process and blend til smooth. Measure out 1/2 a cup of this mixture and set aside.
3. Cream together the better and sugar until well combined and fluffy. Add and mix in each egg one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add dry ingredients (flour, salt, and baking powder) and wet ingredients (milk and cranberries), beating after each addition just until combined.
4. Spoon batter into lined or greased cupcake tins, filling about 3/4 full. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 16-19 minutes. Cool before frosting.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Zest from two oranges
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Begin to add the powdered sugar until you reach a consistency and taste you like. Beat in the orange zest. Pipe and enjoy!